In the mood for something hearty and cheap? This is your answer!
Two chicken breast fillets (or eight chicken thigh fillets – depending what cut of meat you prefer), one large bag of frozen cubed vegetables (e.g. corn, peas, carrots), one can of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken condensed soup, two sheets of frozen puff pastry. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Take your puff pastry and frozen veggies out to defrost. Preheat the oven to approximately 180 degrees Celsius.
- Clean and dice the chicken to approximately one centimetre cubes, approximately the size of the veggies. Brown chicken on medium heat in a large lidded saucepan.
- Add defrosted veggies to the pan and cook until warm through.
- Add can of Cream of Chicken condensed soup and half a can of water to the pan, and stir through. Let the mixture simmer until ingredients are hot and fully combined, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture straight to a medium-sized casserole dish (leave approximately half a centimetre gap at the top).
- Cut puff pastry into strips, and arrange on top on the casserole dish in a criss-cross pattern. Brown with egg wash if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is nice and crispy (approximately twenty minutes to half an hour) – then serve!
This should serve six people if you dish out smaller portions with side dishes. Total cost is approximately $20AUD for puff pastry, chicken, canned soup and frozen veggies. Cheap and tasty!